Saturday, January 3, 2015

It's About Time...

To start taking a peek at 2015 and some of the things I want to do this year.  I don't like to make 'resolutions' because they usually are too big and too vague and too hard to achieve.  Saying I'm going to lose weight, I'm going to quit smoking, I'm going to try to be nice to people I don't like, etc.  Stuff like that.  (For the record, in 2008 one of my resolutions was to lose weight and I lost over 100 pounds and in 2013 I resolved to quit smoking and, finally, succeeded.)  But I don't want to think that big because I think I'm in a pretty decent place.  My New Year will start on Monday, by the way.  But there are some things I need to re-focus on...

I want to get in better shape and take better care of myself.  I'm starting Focus T25 on Monday.  This 10 week program should help me get started the right way.  Intense, 25 minute workouts every Monday to Friday, followed by a weekend of rest and stretching.  If my body is up to it (and I think it is), this should be a great challenge!

I want to try to find some time every day to pray.  Well, maybe not to pray.  I want to try to find time every day to be quiet.  To shut down the brain, to stop talking to myself, to just listen.  Maybe this time will be after my workout while I stop sweating, maybe it will be when I get home from the office, heck, it might even be at the office!  But I need to find time every day to listen to my soul.

I need to eat 3 times a day.  Breakfast, lunch, supper.  My eating habits are horrible and they probably lead to my current body shape (increasingly round).  I want to eat better and more healthy, too, but I think I'm doing OK with that.

I want to get back to walking at least 2 miles every morning (after the T25 is over).  I really need to get my steps up from about 5K to 10K every day.  Should improve my fitness level.  I did pretty good for a few months in 2014, but fell off when the weather changed.  My plantar fasciitis and throwing my back out (again) didn't help that much.

I want to be successful in my job.  I struggled for a while after some decisions were made that I didn't agree with, and that impacted my job performance and my attitude on the job.  I've come to accept the decisions (probably because I can't change them) and have found a 'groove'.  I want to stay positive, but I also want to stay honest.

I want to see my children and my grandchildren more in 2015 than I did in 2014.  I saw them a lot more in 2014 than I had in the previous 2 or 3 years, and I had a wonderful (if challenging) time every time I did.  My kids make me better.  I never thought that having adult children would be as much fun as it really is.  And I thought that once they were adults that my love for them would begin to erode.  I'm really glad it hasn't.  And I want to talk to them all way more often.  And I want them to feel OK that, when I don't, it's OK to call me and tell me that I'm not calling enough.

I want to keep hanging out with Kara.  I've never been in a platonic relationship with a woman like I am with her.  She really is wonderful.  Both as a friend and as a 'life coach'.  It's really cool to spend time with someone with a different perspective on the world than mine.  You see, Kara was born in Korea.  She moved to Minnesota when she was 4, went to Breck for high school and Concordia (Moorhead) for college.  She's extremely athletic, eats fantastically (and cooks pretty good, too), and is just fun to spend time with.

I probably should drink less.  I don't believe I'm an alcoholic, and have had that confirmed a couple of times.  I think concentrating on fitness will help me do that.  Switching to drink vodka/soda instead of beer because it has fewer calories is kinda silly.  I just need to drink less.

Lastly, I want to blog more.  This kind of goes back to the 'listening (i.e., praying)' that I want to do more of, believe it or not.  A lot of the things in my head stay there until I put them down in black and white and can see them.  It's easier to get rid of them.  Not just what's going inside me (because, let's face it, it really isn't all THAT exciting), but what's going on around me as well.  2015 is going to bring a move and a readjustment to a new neighborhood, it may bring more, and when I can express those things in a blog, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Here's to 2015 and all that it has to offer!  Here's to living out my wants and my needs!




No comments:

Post a Comment